Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wine-Braised Boneless Short Ribs

Today was a little nippy! The only time I got my body temperature up at all today was doing front squats and rope climbs! This was a nice cozy meal... and warmed me right up! I used my crock pot again for this one! It's still on the kitchen counter... where it will probably stay until March! :-)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs boneless short ribs
ground pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
1 T olive oil
1/2 C red wine
1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes (no added salt)
1 yellow onion, sliced
1/2 C black olives, medium
1 C mushrooms
2 T fresh rosemary

Heat olive oil in a pan. Sprinkle beef with black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Brown beef on all sides. Then add to crock pot. Add red wine to pan to deglaze and scrape up all remaining bits! Add that to crock pot! (I actually think baby carrots would be great in this dish, but I was out of them). Put all remaining ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

Tonight was my first time cooking with an acorn squash! They are much easier to cut than spaghetti squash. Whew! Cut it in half, remove the seeds, and then cut into 1/8... skin and all!

Glaze:
3 T agave nectar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Coat squash with glaze and bake at 400 degrees, 15 minutes covered... and 25 more minutes, uncovered! I liked it! This skin is pretty thin on the acorn squash, but my husband thought it would have been better pealed! I'd definitely play around with it some more! Hope you enjoy!




No comments:


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central