Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Paleo Beef Stew

Well, stew weather has arrived! In fact, it hit with such urgency that I made a special trip to the store for just stew ingredients. It was as delicious as I remembered and made lots of leftovers! What a way to welcome the cooler weather! I think I'll be keeping the crock pot out for awhile!
Comfort food is only a crock pot away!

Recipe: I like to keep my stew vegetables and meat on the larger, chunky side!
2 pkg. stew meat (about 1 lb. each)
2 carrots, sliced thick
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 large rutabaga, chopped in big chunks
2 turnips, chopped in chunks
1 parsnip, sliced thick
10 boiler onions, whole, peeled
32 oz. organic beef broth
1 C almond meal
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 T oregano
pinch sea salt
1 bay leaf
1 T olive oil

Heat olive oil in a skillet. In a ziplock bag add almond meal and all seasonings (except bay leaf). Place stew meat in bag and thoroughly coat. Brown stew meat... (you may have to do this in batches, depending on how large your skillet is), add to crock pot (include all almond meal-spice bits). Add all vegetables to crock pot (except boiler onions). Cover meat and vegetables with beef broth, add bay leaf, and cook on low for 4-6 hours. About 20 minutes before serving, add boiler onions - cook until tender.
Serve and enjoy this cool weather friend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you get your bacon at Costco?If so what kind?

Sara said...

Looks wonderful! I was just looking for a new stew recipe (Nightshade-free), yours looks perfect! :)

Kelly Greco said...

I really haven't bought any bacon at Costco. I have certainly bought a lot of other things there, but not bacon. I usually buy my bacon at New Leaf market or Nob Hill. They have a great selection. (Nitrate free is always a good choice)!

Thanks, Sara! I hope you enjoy!

John Frazer said...

This recipe was very good, and maybe your crockpot is a lot hotter than mine ... but the cooking time seemed awfully short. After 4 hours or so the root veggies were still very crunchy. I turned it up to high for an hour and they still weren't really done.

The next day I simmered it on the stove for an hour and it was much better. If I make it again I wouldn't hesitate to cook it all day on low.

Thanks for the great resource!


CrossFit Santa Cruz Central